Price € 1.295,-
4 days/3 nights. Going monday, back thursday.
The village consists of more than 9 different indigenous tribes, who live in peace with each other under granman (chief) Asongo Alalaparoe. The Iwaana Saamu Rainforest lodge is beautifully situated on a 20 minutes boottrip away from the village of Kwamalasamutu. Nearby the lodge the caves of Werehpai are situated with its impressive 350 petroglyphs. These petroglyphs are between 4200 and 5000 year old. Before 2004 for the whole of Suriname only 192 petroglyphs were known. With the discovery of Werephai that number has more than doubled to more than 500 petroglyphs.
This area is also the nesting ground for the Cock of the Rock (Rupicola rupicola). Kwamalasamutu differentiate itself because of the contact with the locale community and the traditional activities like snorkeling and bamboo surfing.
While staying at Iwaana Saamu Rainforest Lodge you can choose several guided activities like:
- Visit to the village of Kwamalasamutu. Meet and get acquainted with the daily life of the different indigenous communities.
- Visit the shamans, their clinic, the shaman school and the traditional hospital.
- Forest walks
- Rainforest scuba diving en Trio style bamboo surfing.
- Traditional wrestling.
- Boot trip to the rapids, swimming in the river
- Visit to the caves of Werepai where you will see the 5000 year old petroglyphs.
- Cultural evening with traditional Trio music and dance.